Re: Newcomers [Was: Evolutionizing the IETF]

2012-11-10 10:52:06
On 11/10/2012 5:35 AM, Arturo Servin wrote:
    It's not bitching, it self criticism. I think that the IETF thinks
that it is very open but in reality it could do better.

I'm not sure the IETF can "think" anything, but openness is
an institutional value and goal, and we're sometimes more
successful and sometimes less.  That said, I find it a little
difficult to believe that meeting location is a particularly
significant contributor to meeting openness objectives.  I'd
agree that face-to-face meetings have become more important
to IETF process than they probably should be, but I think it's
still probably the case that you can be a significant
contributor without actually attending a meeting.

I think that we haven't done a sufficiently good job of
acculturating newer participants and that can probably make
the organization look more opaque and closed than it actually
is.  Most (but not all) working groups don't have enough help
with document review, and I think that's probably the fast
path to agency within the IETF.  Being a body in a chair at a
meeting is not.

Melinda