Re: Newcomers [Was: Evolutionizing the IETF]

2012-11-10 10:57:38
On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Melinda Shore
<melinda(_dot_)shore(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>wrote:

I think that we haven't done a sufficiently good job of
acculturating newer participants and that can probably make
the organization look more opaque and closed than it actually
is.  Most (but not all) working groups don't have enough help
with document review, and I think that's probably the fast
path to agency within the IETF.  Being a body in a chair at a
meeting is not.

[MB] Exactly!  That's what I did when I first started participating in
IETF.  I would review documents and comment on the mailing.   I also would
volunteer to take meeting minutes as that really does force you to pay
attention to the meeting and not spend the meeting reading email or playing
solitaire.  Or, volunteer to at least follow the jabber room.  Those are
all extremely important for working group effectiveness.  [/MB]

Melinda