Re: Newcomers [Was: Evolutionizing the IETF]

2012-11-11 08:51:44
On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 04:15:22PM +0530, Vinayak Hegde wrote:
I don't know enough to comment about Myanmar but the argument for not
holding a meeting in India rings quite hollow. There has been a rising
number of participants from India (both from Indians living in India
and abroad).

I completely agree that there is a rising number, but in terms of
percentage of the participants, people actually living in India don't
seem to be a very significant population.

Indians living abroad don't count for this argument: the whole point
of moving the meetings around is not to include new people, but to
spread the travel burden.  The principle is to travel to places near
where significant numbers of participants are.  (Note this also means
that more-active participants' location in principle ought to weigh
more.)  The important question about Indian contributors living abroad
is not their country of origin, but their location now.

Nevertheless, I think it is almost certainly true that, if the current
trend of involvement continues, we will eventually hold a meeting in
India, for exactly the same reason that we held (and will doubtless
eventually hold again) a meeting in China.  I'll be delighted when we
observe such involvement.

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com