Re: [lisp] Last Call: <draft-ietf-lisp-eid-block-03.txt> (LISP EID Block) to Informational RFC

2012-11-17 13:36:58
    > From: Cameron Byrne <cb(_dot_)list6(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>

    >> So it has transferred costs for communicating with site X from
    >> 'everyone with a core table, everywhere in the entire network' to
    >> 'just the people who are actually trying to communicate with site X'.
    >> This is bad... how?

I didn't see an answer to this question (which is not at all LISP-specific -
rather, it's a general observation about the allocation of overhead costs in
a network). Why should site B, which _never_ talks to X, have to pay, so that
site A can talk to X?

    > edge sites have to buy more routers with newer functions.

???? Each vendor will have its own answer to this question, but the LISP
software suites I know of are new loads for existing router hardware. Do you
know of a LISP package which only comes with new hardware?

        Noel