Re: [lisp] Last Call: <draft-ietf-lisp-eid-block-03.txt> (LISP EID Block) to Informational RFC

2012-11-17 11:13:17
    > From: Cameron Byrne <cb(_dot_)list6(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>

    >> If LISP succeeds, this results in significant reduction in core table
    >> sizes for everyone.

    > Not everyone. Only people who carry core tables.

'this results in significant reduction in core table sizes for everyone who
has core tables' sounds a bit tautological, no?

    > That is LISP twist, it transfers cost from a few cores to many edges.

If you define 'many' is 'people who are actually trying to communicate with a
given site', yes. So it has transferred costs for communicating with site X
from 'everyone with a core table, everywhere in the entire network' to 'just
the people who are actually trying to communicate with site X'. This is
bad... how?

(When I first quickly read your message, I thought you were making a point
about the routing overhead of EIDs being carried in the global routing tables
for use by legacy sites, which is an interesting point, but not the one that
you make here.)

        Noel