Re: [lisp] Last Call: <draft-ietf-lisp-eid-block-03.txt> (LISP EID Block) to Informational RFC

2012-11-21 23:51:42
With respect Robert, I disagree with your line of argument and I disagree
with your assertion that a reference to an existing RFC is "bogus under
these circumstances"

This eid draft does not claim to obsolete or update either the description
of roles and responsibilities in RFC2860 or the directions to the IANA in
RFC4773, yet the document's directions to the IANA appear to me to be
inconsistent
with those existing procedures and policies.

To claim, if I understand your line of argument correctly, that every
RFC essentially is an implicit update of all existing RFCs, and every
RFC does not need to explicitly obsolete or update any other RFC, as
it does does so by default upon publication of the RFC is not a line
of argument that I find that I could agree with.

For me, it's like proclaiming that: "everything I do is right, and if
whatever I do contravenes existing processes and procedures then my
actions implicitly update those processes and procedures such that
everything I do is right" I find that I cannot agree with such a
circular self-referential line of reasoning.

Instead, I believe that the processes and processes that the IETF follow are
deliberative decisions, and that we update and amend those processes and
procedures explicitly, and documents that perform such updates say so
explicitly, and are accepted and published on the basis of explicit
consideration of the processes and procedures and acceptance of the
amendment.

But I appreciate that I am by training a mathematician and not a lawyer,
and you may indeed be making some critical observations about the nature
of the IETF's processes and procedures whose finer points may well have
escaped me. However, it seems to me that it would be more productive
for the IETF to consider that this issue is a distinct issue, and not
confound the consideration of the IETF Last Call of this particular
eid draft with the broader issue of the manner  by which the IETF crafts
and maintains its own procedures, processes and policies.

regards,

  Geoff

  speaking for myself and noone else

On 22/11/2012, at 6:09 AM, Robert Elz <kre(_at_)munnari(_dot_)OZ(_dot_)AU>