Re: A Splendid Example Of A Renumbering Disaster

2012-11-23 20:55:08
On Nov 23, 2012, at 5:46 PM, Sabahattin Gucukoglu <listsebby(_at_)me(_dot_)com>
wrote:
It's Friday.  Time to plug IPv6 some more. :-)

http://b.logme.in/2012/11/07/changes-to-hamachi-on-november-19th/

LogMeIn Hamachi is basically a NAT-traversing layer 2 VPN solution.  They
avoided conflicts with RFC 1918 space by hijacking IPv4 space in 5/8,

Back when I was running IANA and we noticed this (back in 2006 or so -- don't
remember the exact dates), we suggested to the folks at Hamachi that using
squat space was perhaps not the best idea.  They floated the idea of a /8
dedicated to VPNs, but it didn't go anywhere (we at IANA told them to bring it
up with the IETF -- not sure if they ever did).

now actively being allocated by LIRs in Europe.  When that didn't work (see
link above), they moved to 25/8, allocated to the UK MoD.

Sigh.  You would think that after a number of years they could've come up with
a better solution than to use different squat space. Given 25/8 is 'legacy'
space, unencumbered by registration service agreements, I suspect folks using
Hamachi for v4 VPNs will get another unpleasant surprise in the future.

Regards,
-drc