Re: A Splendid Example Of A Renumbering Disaster

2012-11-24 02:09:16
On 24/11/2012 02:54, David Conrad wrote:
On Nov 23, 2012, at 5:46 PM, Sabahattin Gucukoglu
<listsebby(_at_)me(_dot_)com> wrote:
It's Friday.  Time to plug IPv6 some more. :-)

http://b.logme.in/2012/11/07/changes-to-hamachi-on-november-19th/

LogMeIn Hamachi is basically a NAT-traversing layer 2 VPN solution.  They
avoided conflicts with RFC 1918 space by hijacking IPv4 space in 5/8,

Back when I was running IANA and we noticed this (back in 2006 or so -- don't
remember the exact dates), we suggested to the folks at Hamachi that using
squat space was perhaps not the best idea.  They floated the idea of a /8
dedicated to VPNs, but it didn't go anywhere (we at IANA told them to bring
it up with the IETF -- not sure if they ever did).

now actively being allocated by LIRs in Europe.  When that didn't work (see
link above), they moved to 25/8, allocated to the UK MoD.

Sigh.  You would think that after a number of years they could've come up
with a better solution than to use different squat space. Given 25/8 is
'legacy' space, unencumbered by registration service agreements, I suspect
folks using Hamachi for v4 VPNs will get another unpleasant surprise in the
future.

In all fairness, they do say (at the above URL):

"However, our general recommendation is that if you can, please turn off
IPv4 support in your Hamachi clients. The IPv6 space we’re using has been
registered to LogMeIn, and most modern software should function perfectly
without needing an IPv4 address."

so let's give them some credit. (For extra credit, they could make
IPv6 the default in their client software.)

   Brian