Re: Newcomers [Was: Evolutionizing the IETF]

2012-11-27 11:22:18
I wonder how you measure/count "IETF participants"...

Do you measure participants based on subscriptions to IETF
mailing-lists? -- If so, how do you assign a location to the plenty of
gTLD addresses? (including those at gmail.com)

I'm guessing based on the mail I see on the lists I'm on and the drafts I look at. I really don't think there's a vast group of Latin Americans or south Asians or Africans lurking behind gmail addresses.

As I think I've said many times, I think it would be great if we got more activity from underrepresented parts of the world, but the way to do that is to get people active on mailing lists and writing drafts, not to have unaffordable ICANN-style road shows.

Regards,