Re: Newcomers [Was: Evolutionizing the IETF]

2012-11-15 15:53:47
Hi,
On 11/15/2012 5:19 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:

On 11/15/2012 9:43 AM, Carlos M. Martinez wrote:
Comparing with the ITU who does tour the world, organizing workshops in
far away places, I really think we should be trying a little harder to
be more open.

It's important to distinguish between a 'workshop' and a 'working
meeting' where decisions are made.

As I understand the ITU's operation, all of the ITU-T formal decisions
are made in Geneva.  Any meetings held before that and seeming to make
decisions can be reversed during a Geneva session, in my direct
experience.

Also, ISOC actually seems to do a pretty good job of showing up in
many places around the world, on the IETF's behalf, including events
that can be called workshops.

I agree, but I´m talking about perceptions and how these things can be
manipulated against us. If we don´t care, that´s fine, but we shouldn´t
be surprised afterwards if something we do not like comes out of WCIT.

d/