Re: Newcomers [Was: Evolutionizing the IETF]

2012-11-15 11:48:17
Hello,

On 15/11/2012 03:43, Melinda Shore wrote:

We'd reached 50 attendees from China at IETF 63 before we even
started seriously negotiating the Beijing meeting. It seems to
me that the causality is mainly in the opposite direction:
participation causes meetings, not meetings cause participation.

Having a metric for considering having a meeting in a give region would
be really nice, so we can stop arguing over smoke. If 50 is a magic
number, well, we Latin America are not that far, I'm confident we'll be
there in a few meetings.

I do believe that regions wanting to have an IETF meeting should also
give back in terms of active participation, I agree with that.

(IMHO, there is some value to the IETF in having one-off
attendees who don't subsequently participate: they learn what
the IETF is and hopefully tell others about it. This can't be a
bad thing, but it's definitely secondary.)
Agreed.

   Brian