Re: "IETF work is done on the mailing lists"

2012-11-28 03:25:39

--On Wednesday, November 28, 2012 08:15 +0000 Brian E Carpenter
<brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

The list of attendees is now taken care of by the scanned blue
sheets, but the barely literate "he said, she said" minutes
from most WGs are pretty much useless. For people attempting
to participate only via the mailing list this is a problem.

Let's have more minutes like these:
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/85/minutes/minutes-85-opsawg

This is, IMO, a consequence of our developing fancy tools and
then uncritically relying on them.  A Jabber log or real-time
Etherpad may be, and probably is, a very helpful way to keep
real-time notes within a meeting but some WGs have substituted
nearly-unedited versions of them (especially the latter) for
minutes.  They are not minutes, certainly not minutes as
contemplated by RFC 2418, and I sincerely hope that the IESG and
the community push back on those "barely literate" notes before
there is an appeal against a WG decision or document approval
that is based, even in part, on failure of the WG to comply with
that 2418 requirement.

    john