Re: Useful slide tex (was - Re: English spoken here)

2012-12-02 11:51:33
On 12/02/2012 12:42 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:
But can be considerably aided in many cases by written material
(slides, summaries, or both) well in advance especially if those
material are also used at the meeting, thereby aiding
synchronization.

This is a very specific matter of technique.

As I started doing more presentations outside the US or with mixed audiences, I was told that the challenge of slide content is to make it neither too terse nor too verbose. Too terse imparts too little information for a reader who is using them to augment listening to the English. Too verbose, of course, takes too much time to read for real-time.

In addition, slides often circulate later and need to have enough text to be useful without the speaker's commentary.

So I try to use "telegraphic" text that stands on its own. That is, it's a terse as I can make it, while still making sense without my commentary. (It turns out this also provides the opportunity to have the speaking commentary go beyond the slide text, since I can let the audience rely on the slides for key points.)

I think you're missing the point. The core problem is the overuse of presentations, and presentation tools, for working group face to face meeting time which is better suited for discussion.

For those occasions when presentations are appropriate, or for "slides" that are provided as background material in advance of the discussion, the above is good advice.

Keith