Re: Useful slide tex (was - Re: English spoken here)

2012-12-02 12:48:52
On 12/2/12 10:06 AM, Keith Moore wrote:
On 12/02/2012 12:57 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:

On 12/2/2012 9:51 AM, Keith Moore wrote:
I think you're missing the point.   The core problem is the overuse of
presentations, and presentation tools, for working group face to face
meeting time which is better suited for discussion.

stop blaming the tool.  focus on the folks doing the speaking.
The tool is a big part of the problem. The tool encourages a certain style of interaction that is generally inappropriate for face to face working group meetings.

We have non-native english speakers and remote participants both working at a disadvantage to follow the discussion in the room. We should make it harder for them by removing the pretext that the discussion is structured around material that they can review and follow along on? I don't think that's even remotely helpful.

Of course, strictly speaking, the focus is on the people who are using the tool, and more broadly, on using the habit and community expectation that keeps encouraging people to use a poorly suited tool. But they're using the tool poorly precisely because it's very difficult to use that tool well for that purpose. A different toolset, (e.g. pens and paper and overhead cameras coupled to projectors), would likely produce better results if that toolset did not encourage laziness in preparing materials to facilitate discussion.

Keith