Re: FW: Last Call: <draft-farrell-ft-03.txt> (A Fast-Track way toRFC with Running Code) to Experimental RFC

2013-01-27 05:22:50
----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Farrell" <stephen(_dot_)farrell(_at_)cs(_dot_)tcd(_dot_)ie>
To: <mrex(_at_)sap(_dot_)com>
Cc: "John C Klensin" <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com>; "Thomas Narten"
<narten(_at_)us(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com>; <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>;
<adrian(_at_)olddog(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2013 10:47 PM

Hi Martin,

On 01/25/2013 09:36 PM, Martin Rex wrote:
I don't know about the last time it happened, but I know about
one time in Nov-2009 in the TLS WG (now rfc5746).

I recall that and agree with the sequence of events you
describe, but I'm not sure that that situation is
relevant when considering this draft, for two reasons:

Sounds a bit like 'don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is made
up:-)'

The point that Thomas made and John endorsed is that when we want to
speed things up, our current procedures allow us to do just that.  We do
not need a formal process (more complications, more work).  And as John
pointed out, having two independent Last Call discussions, on two
different lists, on communities that may have little overlap, is not the
way, IMO, to establish a clear consensus.

Tom Petch

- First, that was the IETF in security-incident-handling
mode, and that's just different from normal process for
us, whether fast-tracked or not. Its in the nature of things
that the vast majority of security incidents don't
directly affect IETF protocols so as to require a
backwards incompatible change. So I think that was a
highly unusual case. (And let's hope things stay that
way.)

- Second, there was significant controversy within the
WG before the last calls, (with many hundreds of mails;-)
so a set of WG chairs that chose to try a fast-track
experiment in such circumstances would be crazy basically.
(Remember, we're only talking about an experiment here.)

As for Eliot's question, I don't recall any case when
a WG skipped WGLC. Even if its not part of 2026, right
now it's a de-facto but mandatory part of the process
as far as I can see. I'd be interested if there are cases
where WGLC was skipped, esp. if its been regularly done.

S.