Re: FW: Last Call: <draft-farrell-ft-03.txt> (A Fast-Track way toRFC with Running Code) to Experimental RFC

2013-01-27 13:18:44

On 1/27/13 12:19 PM, t.p. wrote:
The point that Thomas made and John endorsed is that when we want to
speed things up, our current procedures allow us to do just that. We
do not need a formal process (more complications, more work). And as
John pointed out, having two independent Last Call discussions, on two
different lists, on communities that may have little overlap, is not
the way, IMO, to establish a clear consensus.

If we don't need a formal process, then I'd like it clarified in WG
training that this procedure already exists.  Furthermore, I don't buy
the notion about confusion.  In the cases where this is likely to be
done, either an emergency exists (which was the case with TLS, IMHO), or
the draft is likely not to elicit much in the way of objection.  This
DOES happen.  But that having been said, if both a WG chair and an AD
make a bad call, there are numerous opportunities to correct it in this
process, the NOMCOM process, appeal, etc.

Eliot