Reducing time to publication: was Re: FW: Last Call: <draft-farrell-ft-03.txt> (A Fast-Track way toRFCwith Running Code) to Experimental RFC

2013-01-31 06:14:55
Time to publication of an RFC can be reduced by cutting out the pauses,
which could achieved by highlighting when they occur.

This can be done by a tool which, for every active Working Group, runs
monthly and, for every draft adopted by the Working Group, records
whether or not there has been a change and posts this list as an e-mail
to the list of the Working Group.  Where a new version has been
submitted to Tools, then this new version is listed with the date of
submission.  Where the status has changed, as recorded in the tracker
(AD Review, IETF LC, Publication Approved etc), then the new status is
listed with the date of change.  Where nothing has changed, then this is
listed with the date of the last change.  Given the number of I-Ds that
some Working Groups are working on, the best sequence is alphabetic of
I-D name.

Such a list would shine a light on what is moving and what is not.  This
in turn would encourage, motivate, spur those on whom the draft is
waiting to progress it (and anyone else who could contribute).

This works.  I know it does, because something of this ilk happens on a
WG I subscribe to; I imagine the chair does it manually, or perhaps they
screen scrape, but I see it happening.

My first thought was that this would be at the option of the AD or WG
Chairs but on second thought, I think this a mistake.  Often the light
will shine on the AD or Chair but that it healthy - it is not a
criticism of them, rather an invitation for everyone to see what they
could do to move things on.

Tom Petch