Re: FW: Last Call: <draft-farrell-ft-03.txt> (A Fast-Track way to RFC with Running Code) to Experimental RFC

2013-01-29 15:35:20
Just as a follow-up here ...

I was John's co-author on RFC 3933 (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3933). When we were working on the draft, the problem I thought we were solving, was that the IESG needs to update the IETF's BCP processes from time to time, but (1) it was like 32 simultaneous root canals to actually get community consensus to modify the IETF's process BCPs including untried changes that might be improvements, so (2) the IESG was using informal IESG statements developed with much less community involvement than was expected for process BCP changes, in order to get anything done at all.

I (and, I think, John as well) saw RFC 3933 process experiments as a middle path between lightweight IESG decisions and full process BCP revisions. That's what I thought Section 2 of RFC 3933 was trying to say.

I had assumed that if the IESG clearly had discretion to do something under the current process BCPs, and thought it was the right thing to do, they would just do it, rather than set up a process experiment.

For what that's worth.

Spencer