Re: History of protocol discussion or process in WG

2013-02-03 12:39:29

On 2/3/2013 10:28 AM, Sam Hartman wrote:
I'm not sure I've ever been involved with a WG where you could have
gotten consensus on any of the above enough to publish it.  Nor can I
think of many WGs that have the excess energy to do this work.  Even
getting consensus on a summary of where you ended up is quite
tricky.

Getting consensus on the details of a history is much more difficult than on a technical spec...

So don't try.

What I think /is/ possible, however, is to establish a "history of" wiki, to which participants can contribute their views.

Moderate it, to limit the noise. Solicit and vet contributions from principals, to seed the data with credible material.

Then let historians worry about synthesizing this source data into something more coherent (and biased, and ...)

But at least the raw narrative of motivated principals will have been captured.

In terms of administrative overhead, there isn't much, other than creating a separate page for each activity.

d/

--
 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking