Re: The RFC Acknowledgement

2013-02-08 21:55:29

--On Friday, February 08, 2013 18:42 -0900 Melinda Shore
<melinda(_dot_)shore(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

On 2/8/13 6:36 PM, Donald Eastlake wrote:
I try to include in the Acknowledgements section of any
Internet Drafts I edit the names of anyone who comments on
the draft if (1) the comment results in a change in the draft
and (2) the commenter does not request that they be left out.
If you comment on some draft and the draft is changed as a
result and you want to be acknowledged and you are not added
to the acknowledgements list, you should complain to the
editor / author.

Really?  I only expect to be acknowledged when I've got text
included or have made some other significant contribution.

Remembering that we've managed to get ourselves into a situation
in which there is a IPR policy-based requirement for some
acknowledgements, do we really need to debate this topic rather
than saying "author/editor discretion as long as the author or
editor is sensitive to requests for inclusion or exclusion and
to the IPR policy requirements about substantive Contributions".

My personal instincts as an author run somewhat closer to
Melinda's criterion than to Don's but my bigger concern is that
trying to make specific rules about this will result in an
extended rat hole tour that ends up with rules that don't work
well for edge cases we don't anticipate.

   john