Re: IETF chair's blog

2013-02-25 08:28:37
Hi Simon,

On 25/02/2013 11:15, Simon Pietro Romano wrote:
Hi  Brian,

Exactly. The inter-personal communication toolset we use in the
IETF is quite limited because of some unwritten constraints,
which certainly include:

- very widely available, including free or open source solutions
- operating-system independent
- standardised, non-proprietary
- not unduly plagued by advertising
- preferably, standardised by the IETF itself
- most tools allow time-shifting for worldwide collaboration
- reasonably secure
- do not damage privacy but do not encourage anonymity

I think we have to be very careful going outside that set
of constraints (which is why I'm not a big fan of Webex or for
that matter Meetecho).

Just out of curiosity, can you list which of the above requirements is not
met by Meetecho?

It's proprietary, isn't it? The pop-ups on the the web site don't seem to
work for me, but I can see a Buy button. (I realise that usage for the IETF
is free, and I have no complaints.) Not sure about the standards status.

Anyway - if we want to move forward in an agreed way, I do think we
need a list of criteria. I forgot "reliable" BTW.

Maybe this conversation belongs on tools-discuss(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org.

    Brian