Re: Nomcom is responsible for IESG qualifications

2013-03-07 15:58:19
I read 3777 as somewhere in between, with some important caveats.
As I understand the rules and practice of the game we are playing:

The IESG (and the IAB and IAOC) specify what they want to see (their job requirements). The nomcom collects those, and community input. Community input is explicitly asked for both on candidates, positions, and general operational behaviors. This includes community feedback on the job that needs to be done.
The nomcom selects candidates.
The nomcom tells the confirming body who the candidates are, what the nomcom felt the requirements were and why, and how the candidate meets the requirements.
the confirming body reaches its conclusion, and responds.

Do note that while the nomcom is free to interpret the job requirements, they are NOT free to redefine the job. If asked for a Security AD, they can not appoint an extra applications AD. Even i the community input strongly led them to conclude that is what is needed.

One of the interesting things is that the nomcom does not in practice have a way to tell the community exactly what it decided the job requirements are. I say this because the explanation of how the requirements were interpreted is often tied in with the available and selected candidates and their qualifications, which must not be discussed with the community. And the confirming body can not tell the community what it did with the nomcom statements.

Yours, through my narrow lenses,
Joel