Nomcom is responsible for IESG qualifications

2013-03-06 17:14:51
"Jari" == Jari Arkko <jari(_dot_)arkko(_at_)piuha(_dot_)net> writes:

    Jari> Sam, Thanks for raising this issue. The issue about what kind
    Jari> of candidates are suitable for the task.

    Jari> However, even if you asked us to not reply to your mail on the
    Jari> public list, I wanted to do it for one aspect. I have a
    Jari> suggestion that relates to who you are directing your
    Jari> criticism to. You've been a part of the nomination process,
    Jari> you know it is not easy.

    Jari> When it comes to feedback on candidates and the tasks, noncom
    Jari> does need your feedback. Please tell them what you think.

    Jari> But when it comes to the "off in the wilderness" part, I have
    Jari> a very strong opinion. Please do not take it out on the
    Jari> noncom, confirming bodies, or the process. I think the buck
    Jari> stops in this particular situation with the IESG, whose
    Jari> requirements they are following. Just like when the spec is
    Jari> wrong, you do not blame the vendor.

Jari, I could not disagree more.  Evaluating community feedback on the
qualifications provided by the IESG is specifically the nomcom's
responsibility.  It's quite clear the buck stops with the nomcom in RFC
3777 not with the IESG.

I shall quote the related sections of the RFc for you:

      The nominating committee will be given the title of the positions
      to be reviewed and a brief summary of the desired expertise of the
      candidate that is nominated to fill each position.

   10. The Chair announces the open positions to be reviewed, the
       desired expertise provided by the IETF Executive Director, and
       the call for nominees.

       nomination must include the set of skills or expertise the
       nominator believes the nominee has that would be desirable.

   12. The nominating committee selects candidates based on its
       understanding of the IETF community's consensus of the
       qualifications required to fill the open positions.

       The intent of this rule is to ensure that the nominating
       committee consults with a broad base of the IETF community for
       input to its deliberations.  In particular, the nominating
       committee must determine if the desired expertise for the open
       positions matches its understanding of the qualifications desired
       by the IETF community.

   14. The nominating committee advises the confirming bodies of their
       candidates, specifying a single candidate for each open position
       and testifying as to how each candidate meets the qualifications
       of an open position.

(***note qualifications not expertise***)

       For each candidate, the testimony must include a brief statement
       of the qualifications for the position that is being filled,
       which may be exactly the expertise that was requested.  If the
       qualifications differ from the expertise originally requested a
       brief statement explaining the difference must be included.