RE: Nomcom off in the wilderness: Transport AD

2013-03-06 15:32:18
Mary,

        There's a difference between evaluating someone based on what they said
(as you
point out is part of the NomCom's job) and evaluating someone based on what
somebody else
said about what they said.

        If - in the latter case - someone offering feedback based strictly on
what a candidate
had to say about themselves was completely up-front about that, then the NomCom
could try
to factor that in when considering the feedback.

        I don't think that it is a good idea to try to rely on people to do
this, nor do I think it is
completely obvious how someone on the NomCom could necessarily arrive at a
really good
way to "factor that in."

        Your second point is certainly valid.  There is no doubt that a
personal CV from each
candidate would help everyone.  So maybe we're just quibbling over exactly what
sorts of
candidate responses it would be helpful to disclose.

        :-)
--
Eric