Re: Nomcom off in the wilderness: Transport AD

2013-03-06 15:41:36
On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 3:31 PM, Eric Gray
<eric(_dot_)gray(_at_)ericsson(_dot_)com> wrote:
Mary,

        There's a difference between evaluating someone based on what they
said (as you
point out is part of the NomCom's job) and evaluating someone based on what
somebody else
said about what they said.

        If - in the latter case - someone offering feedback based strictly on
what a candidate
had to say about themselves was completely up-front about that, then the
NomCom could try
to factor that in when considering the feedback.

        I don't think that it is a good idea to try to rely on people to do
this, nor do I think it is
completely obvious how someone on the NomCom could necessarily arrive at a
really good
way to "factor that in."
[MB] Honestly, as it is now, the context for feedback is often totally
unknown to the Nomcom.  I can't see that someone offering feedback
based on public input from the nominee is any less credible that the
information that Nomcom gets now.

My point is that nominees providing this information makes it easier
for someone providing input to provide concrete context and adequate
detail to add value to the process.  Folks do not remember everything
that a person has done.  They usually only remember the most recent
things.  The process is quite flawed IMHO right now in terms of the
quality and quantity of input that nomcom must rely on to make their
decisions.
[/MB]

        Your second point is certainly valid.  There is no doubt that a
personal CV from each
candidate would help everyone.  So maybe we're just quibbling over exactly
what sorts of
candidate responses it would be helpful to disclose.
[MB] Take a look at the position questionnaires:
https://www.ietf.org/group/nomcom/2012/iesg-questionnaire
If I were to post my responses that I provided to this year's nomcom,
I would only need to make some minor changes in terms of anonymizing
and abstracting a few of my comments.  We can decide where to draw the
line in terms of what sections to provide, as well. If anyone does
have lots of concerns about this, it would make me wonder exactly how
they are positioning themselves to the nomcom.
[/MB]

        :-)
--
Eric