Re: Nomcom is responsible for IESG qualifications

2013-03-07 15:28:57
On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 01:02:09PM -0800, Dave Crocker wrote:
in the interpretation across different Nomcoms.  Since this is a
strategic issue, it's too important to leave that ambiguous, IMO.

Why?  It seems to me that merely having drawn attention to these bits
of RFC 3777 provides a hint to future nomcoms that they may not be so
bound as they think.  Why isn't that enough?  I suppose it may be too
late for this year, but this fact will surely be remembered by some
eligible volunteers next year, and they can use the apparent power
they already have to modify the stance the Nomcom takes.  No?

The alternative seems, to me, to be yet another IETF meta-discussion.
These seem inevitably to be giant time-holes into which we throw our
most engaged participants, and in this case we'd be doing it where the
RFC and the existing practice don't align well.  Why not just realign
to what the text says?

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com