Re: The TSV discussion and its spinoffs

2013-03-09 12:17:08

--On Saturday, March 09, 2013 10:31 -0500 Sam Hartman
<hartmans-ietf(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu> wrote:

"John" == John C Klensin <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com> writes:
    John> confidential or not) or getting into public
discussions about     John> qualifications for a position
while that position is under     John> active consideration by
the Nomcom (not because the     John> qualifications should be
John, I agree with what you say and what Jari said--both the
part you quoted and the rest of his note.  However, I think
the part of your note above is a bit unclear. I realize you
and I have been having side discussions about this issue for a
few days now, but I suspect the IETf list may not be able to
follow what you wrote above, because I had significantly
difficulty the first time you explained it to me.

When you engage in a discussion of qualifications while there
is an open position, you very quickly force others to either
abandon the discussion or to make comments that expose
information about how they feel about candidates.

Sam,

Yes, that is exactly correct.  I didn't say more because I'm
all-too-familiar with people not reading my longer notes and
thought writing in a little less detail might be a good
tradeoff.  Thank you for the example -- at least IMO, it
illustrates the problem very well and, as you say, it isn't hard
to come up with others.

Similar examples are easy to find.
my conclusion is that you basically cannot discuss
requirements for an open position while it's open and get
meaningful results.

I look forward to the discussion of future years. I hope that
who ever is moderating that discussion is very careful to
close down any attempts to bring it to a discussion of this
year or what this year's nomcom should do.  In my opinion,
people who have opinions about that should contact the nomcom
and iab (nomcom12(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org and iab(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org).

For whatever it is worth, this is yet another part of the
argument for Nomcom reports that are well-thought-out, careful
about confidentiality, and that, ideally, pose questions and
alternatives for the community to think about in public and
defines a foundation for discussing them.

thanks again,
   john