Re: Is there a Git repository of RFCs? Or of Internet-Drafts?

2013-03-15 13:16:34
On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 7:08 PM, Christopher Morrow
<morrowc(_dot_)lists(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
[....]

What I mean is that if there is disk corruption on the server hosting
the drafts (which can happen post write), rsync will happily send the
checksum of the corrupted draft. Git's mechanism makes such a
probability infinitesimal.

wait, so.. if the disk fails things go bad... I'm confused.

If the disk goes bad so as to provoke a misread of a sector, post
write, the file is effectively corrupted. If this happens with git,
the checksum calculated on write will fail to match, and the
corruption is detected.

Not only that, but:

* you may then recover the repository from another existing one;
* this mechanism detects corruption _even if you have a bare_ (since
what is checksummed is not the file in the working tree but its blob
representation in the object tree).

--
Francis Galiegue, fgaliegue(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com
JSON Schema in Java: http://json-schema-validator.herokuapp.com