Re: Less Corporate Diversity

2013-03-20 18:14:38

On 3/20/13 2:37 PM, Jeffrey Haas wrote:
On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 03:18:24PM -0400, Eric Burger wrote:
How much is the concentration of corporate participation in the
IETF a result of market forces, like consolidation and
bankruptcy, as opposed to nefarious forces, like a company hiring
all of the I* leadership? We have mechanisms to deal with the
latter, but there is not much we can do about the former.

Having started in the IETF at a much smaller vendor, it's less a
nefarious thing than it is a money thing.

When you're talking about participation at the conferences, the
cost of flying someone to the venue, paying for the conference fee
and covering hotel can be a big burden for smaller companies.  They
then have to pick and choose which groups it makes sense to get a
human to attend.

Even on-the-list participation can be a financial burden.  Someone
has to spend a chunk of their time doing standards work instead of
other things like code.

I* leadership is even messier.  IETF is effectively asking for half
or more of the time of those people.  They are effectively being
given a form of patronage to do IETF work.

+1

When I worked at a small vendor, I attended IETF meetings only when
there was work happening directly related to what my company care
about. I *might* have been able to be a WG chair, but there is no way
I could have been an area director until after our small company was
acquired by Cisco.

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre