Re: Less Corporate Diversity

2013-03-23 19:47:00

On Mar 22, 2013, at 7:58 PM, Joe Touch <touch(_at_)isi(_dot_)edu> wrote:
On 3/22/2013 4:43 AM, Margaret Wasserman wrote:
Granted, it may be that the list of _qualified_ candidates is less
diverse than the set of all people who are willing to run. But, if so,
that isn't because there aren't companies who are willing/able to
                                 ^^^^^^^^^
support candidates..

If you define diversity as "many different *companies*", sure.

There are organizations besides companies that used to participate in the
IETF more.

Joe, I was responding specifically to the assertion that we don't have more
diversity in the I* (along various lines) because organizations are unwilling
to sponsor those candidates for I* positions.

The list of available candidates, as published by the nomcom, has been (for
several years now) considerably more diverse than the people who are selected.
There might be many valid reasons for that, including the possibility that the
group of _qualified_ candidates is less diverse than the group of _available_
candidates, but the reason that we do not have more diversity on the I* is
_not_ because we don't have a diverse pool of available candidates.

Margaret