Re: Less Corporate Diversity

2013-03-23 01:27:08
To raise this discussion up a bit, I can think two other related reasons why
there may be less corporate diversity in the IETF.

The first is that it's possible to build applications and businesses that take
advantage of the Internet without having to come to the IETF to standardize
anything.  The work of the IETF (and related organizations like W3C, IEEE,
etc.) have made this possible.  A success problem so to speak.

The second is that it's very hard to make changes at the IP and transport
layers and have them be deployed in scale given middle boxes.  Many
organizations have stopped trying and focus on making things work on top of
http.  This also doesn't require coming to the IETF.

My point in this, is that things have changed and it's not just about how the
IETF works, makes decisions, takes on new work, cost of registration, travel,
etc.  Also, I am not making a value judgement here, only trying to acknowledge
reality.

Bob