Architecture (was: Re: Less Corporate Diversity)

2013-03-22 08:51:31
On Mar 21, 2013, at 8:58 AM, Keith Moore
<moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com> wrote:
Another result is that the Internet architecture has gone to hell, and we're
now spending a huge amount of effort building kludges to fix the problems
associated with other kludges.... and the new kludges will almost certainly
create more problems resulting in a need for more kludges later.

Keith -

  While I won't argue with the symptoms you describe, I'm not sure I'd
attribute it
  to lack of diversity. Both wildly diverse and relatively homogeneous
communities
  can still bifurcate on multiple approaches to solving any given problem, and
if
  that happens repeatedly and at multiple layers, then we inevitably end up
with a
  bit of a mess...  What you are seeing is more likely the result of applying
relatively
  few architectural principles in weeding out possible solutions, i.e. more of
the
  "let a thousand protocols bloom and the market will decide" approach
generally
  taken when establishing working groups and deliverables.

FYI,
/John

Disclaimer: My views alone.  No new protocols or working groups were created
            by this email thread... (yet).