Re: Appointment of Scott Mansfield as new IETF Liaison Manager to the ITU-T

2013-03-27 16:26:26

Russ, Jari, IAB,

Recently, there has been a lot of discussion in the IETF about diversity.

A lot of people observed that the IETF is not good in fostering a culture
that naturally promotes diversity and that is attractive for younger people
to join. One way to make the IETF more accessible and approachable is to
stop making appointments for open positions by recruiting only behind closed
doors.

I am very disappointed that the IAB again has chosen to fill a position
without a clear and open call for volunteers.

We can talk a long time about diversity in this community, but it is time to
take concrete actions.

David Kessens
PS This message doesn't in any way intends to doubt Scott's skills.
   I am disappointed about the process used.
---