Re: Appointment of Scott Mansfield as new IETF Liaison Manager to the ITU-T

2013-03-28 12:03:48

Stewart,

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 01:13:44PM +0000, Stewart Bryant wrote:

In this particular case the candidate pool would have been tiny,
because the criteria would surely have included being experienced
with both the ITU process and the IETF liaison process, including
knowing and understanding the liaison history. Therefore it
seems unlikely that there would be any candidate that the IAB
did not already know about. So whilst I agree in general,
this is not a case that should raise any concerns.

This is exactly the reaction that makes me worried: if the pool of
candidates is already considered to be thin to begin with, it makes even
more sense to do a call for volunteers to make 100% sure that nobody gets
overlooked.

It's not a healthy culture to only allow positions to be filled from the
inside crowd. It's time to fix that.

David Kessens
---