Re: Appointment of Scott Mansfield as new IETF Liaison Manager to the ITU-T

2013-03-29 00:13:49

Mike,

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 09:03:25PM -0400, Michael StJohns wrote:

The process for selecting and appointing liaisons is the purview of the
IAB and not currently subject to external review - and I don't find any
problem with that.

I fully agree with this.

All I am asking for is a call for volunteers.

I am not even asking for publication of the resulting list of volunteers to
allow for public comments.

The IAB, the IESG or whatever body in the IETF that needs to fill a position
cannot possibly know all possible candidates for a position. The IETF is not
a small community any longer where everybody knows each other. It is very
easy to overlook good potential candidates. An open call helps the bodies
that make the decisions to find as many candidates as possible. How can
potential candidates even know that somebody is looking for a candidate if
the potential candidate is not part of the incrowd him/herself ?

And yes, I speak from experience: I have been an Area Director and I did
open calls for volunteers whenever a position needed to filled. It involves
some extra work but I did find that there were many more capable people that
could fullfill the roles than I would have thought before I initiated such a
call (the pool of candidates often turned out to much heathier than my
initial guess of a "thin" pool).

David Kessens
---