Re: Appointment of Scott Mansfield as new IETF Liaison Manager to the ITU-T

2013-03-28 20:02:54
The IETF and various members occasionally break out in back seat driver's
syndrome. It's disappointing.

We need to remember that we are organized more as a republic than a democracy.
We select various folks through the Nomcom process to make decisions on various
things.  E.g.. the IESG for standards advancement, the IAOC for meeting venue
select and the IAB for appointment of liaisons.

The process for selecting and appointing liaisons is the purview of the IAB and
not currently subject to external review - and I don't find any problem with
that.  Among other things, liaisons have to be acceptable to both sides of the
liaison relationship.   Trying to fill that slot like we might an IESG slot
(e.g. advertising, running them through the nomcom and then having the IAB
appoint them) really makes little sense.  Also, since liaison's have no
specific term (I think that's the case - I'm not going to go research it right
now), if a better fit comes along (e.g. someone volunteers) there is really no
bar to the IAB replacing the current liaison by the issuance of a single email.
 (And this is the point where I ask David if he's got a better candidate).

Seriously - can we stop second guessing the IESG, IAB and IAOC on everything?
If there is a wide held belief that we need to revise the scope of
responsibilities for any of these bodies, let's address THAT problem  (I
haven't heard there is - but I may have missed something) rather than caviling
about decisions that probably have little if any direct impact on the ability
of the IETF to create standards.

Mike