Re: Appointment of Scott Mansfield as new IETF Liaison Manager to the ITU-T

2013-03-28 09:01:47

--On Thursday, March 28, 2013 13:13 +0000 Stewart Bryant
<stbryant(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

David

In this particular case the candidate pool would have been
tiny, because the criteria would surely have included being
experienced with both the ITU process and the IETF liaison
process, including knowing and understanding the liaison
history.

You might have added "and has access to the considerable time
and travel resources needed to play in that particular pond",
which would make the pool even smaller.

Therefore it seems unlikely that there would be any
candidate that the IAB did not already know about. So whilst I
agree in general, this is not a case that should raise any
concerns.

While I agree that the pool is too limited to contribute
significantly to diversity other than, perhaps, on gender or age
grounds (at least the first is significant), the IAB's "already
knowing about" who might be in that pool is different from the
IAB assuming it knows who is available.  The only way to get to
the latter answer is to ask and, apparently, the question wasn't
asked.

In addition, IMO, there might have been a slight advantage in
another sort of diversity.  Given the long and difficult history
between the IETF and ITU-T over MPLS-related issues, a perfect
candidate might have had all of the attributes that Scott does
but with little or no prior identification with MPLS work.   The
candidate pool with that collection of attributes might turn out
to be empty or the tradeoffs might still have come out the same
way, but we don't know.

Scott BTW is an excellent choice and is well qualified on all
of the above counts.

I absolutely agree with this and I'm confident that he will do a
fine job.

What I, and I assume David, are questioning is simply the
process that is used.    For me, it seems especially odd when
compared to the liaison position to the ICANN Board.  Both are
very important to the IETF community.  Both involve
organizations with which the IETF has a complicated and
multidimensional relationship.  Both involve issues that are
very sensitive.   Yet the IAB conducted an open call for
volunteers, followed by an open call for community comments, for
one position and simply announced the appointment for the other.
I think an explanation of the difference would be helpful for
everyone.

best,
   john