Re: Sufficient email authentication requirements for IPv6

2013-03-30 19:35:01
At 07:57 30-03-2013, Livingood, Jason wrote:
Mail acceptance for IPv4 worked inclusively - receivers accept unless IP
reputation or other factors failed. IMHO with IPv6 that model may need to
be turned around to an exclusive one - so receivers will not accept mail
unless certain factors are met (like domain-based authentication or the
IPv6 address is on a whitelist). I'd expect MAAWG will continue to be a

Some receivers currently rely on DNSBLs to decide for them whether to accept a message or not. A number of these DNSBLs only offer support for IPv4 addresses. I assume that these DNSBLs do not know how to handle IPv6 addresses. Changing the email model to one where there is prior agreement or else the receiver will reject the message ignores one of the fundamentals which has made email a success.