Re: RFC 6921 on Design Considerations for Faster-Than-Light (FTL) Communication

2013-04-05 12:46:43

On 4/5/2013 6:58 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:
"Loa" == Loa Andersson <loa(_at_)pi(_dot_)nu> writes:
thinking about this and assuming that the FTL Communication are
deployed Loa in a not too far distant future, wouldn't we have
started to receive Loapackets that was sent in the future already
now?

I for one, have always found these Crocker brothers suspicious:

wtf?  Is this some sort of demonstration that the IETF has its own
variation of Godwin's Law at work?

I think that they are in fact a single person.

On 4/5/2013 7:09 AM, Steve Crocker wrote:> I too have always found at
least one of the Crocker brothers {suspicious, smart, funny,
irrelevant, prescient, handsome, annoying, etc.}. I've never been
able to tell which is which :)

I usually can.

But given the context, I'm reminded of a brief exchange I had many years ago with Steve:

I'd just read Azimov's "The Last Question"[*] which was about Azimov's ultimate computer, Multivac, taking eons to consider the question "can entropy be reversed?" The story is a series of snapshots, with that generation's version of Multivac always concluding that it doesn't yet have enough information but it will continue to consider this interesting question. At the end, with humanity long gone and it's own existence continuing only for considering the question it uses its last metaphysical ounce of energy, to say/think/whatever: Let there be light!

Steve said he didn't like that ending. Instead, he said, he'd have had the computer say/think/whatever: No.

d/

[*] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Question
--
 Dave Crocker