Re: IETF Diversity Question on Berlin Registration?

2013-04-13 11:57:47
On 4/13/13 4:09 AM, Lou Berger wrote:
Do you disagree, are you saying that the IETF should only/first try
to address only gender bias?

Clearly not, Lou.  For one thing, I've repeatedly said that
we're underperforming on a number of axes - repeatedly, and
for another I've said some number of times that I don't think
that we can do anything about gender bias and that the costs
of addressing it given our decision-making structures
combined with the very vocal opposition to even looking at
the question, let alone addressing it.  Experience suggests
that gender bias is one of the most deeply-rooted, difficult-
to-deal-with bias problems.  The IETF punts on a large number
of hard technical problems and it would not be inconsistent
to punt on a hard social problem.

So no, I'm not saying that at all, Lou.  I thought I was
pretty clear about that.

Melinda