Re: Gather Profiles/Resumes [was Re: call for ideas: tail-heavy IETF process]

2013-05-05 09:34:40

--On Friday, May 03, 2013 18:10 -0400 Hector Santos
<hsantos(_at_)isdg(_dot_)net> wrote:

May I suggest that the IETF produce a web site for gathering
IETF participants profiles and even resumes.  It can have a
questionnaire to extract the valuable information that will
help maximize the IETF/IESG efforts.  The "Business
Information" (BI) can then be leveraged by ADs, WGs (and other
IETF/IESG leaders) to recruits/invite participants for various
projects, reviews, etc.  It will have many win-wins for all.
We should consider there are as much, and perhaps even more
IETF man-years in people that never attended meetings but were
active for many years, nonetheless, in their various IETF
protocol interest areas.

The structure of this questionnaire will be important to be
successful and beneficial.

Hector,

I can see the advantages of statements of interests and maybe
qualifications.   Moving beyond that to profiles and especially
resumes would give me fairly serious concerns about privacy for
those who supply the information and about inappropriate
pressures (even if unintentional) on those who do not.   There
might even be some analogies to the reasons we keep information
flow to the Nomcom confidential.  There would be clear
advantages to not doing so but, so far, the community has
concluded that, on balance, confidentiality is the wiser course.

best,
   john