Re: call for ideas: tail-heavy IETF process

2013-05-06 17:56:04

--On Monday, May 06, 2013 04:35 -0400 Olaf Kolkman
<olaf(_at_)NLnetLabs(_dot_)nl> wrote:

Personally I hope that RFC 6410 has the effect that we, as a
community, get serious about promoting our proposed standards,
or obsolete them.

I wonder how many standards got promoted after 6410 was
published.

According to my rough count (well, not that rough), the number
of RFCs numbered above 6410 that represent full Standards is
zero.  I note that DKIM is now in Last Call for promotion
without revision; if it succeeds, it would be the first.

RFC 6410 was published in October 2011.  Between, e.g., October
2009 and May 2011, seven documents were published as Internet
Standards (RFCs 5652, 5730 - 5734, and 6152).  Because of the
five documents in the EPP series, that is not quite as large a
count as one would expect but even if one counts that as only
three, three is larger than zero.

That is definitely not a comparison on which I'd want to make
any statistical assertions, but it suggests that 6410 has not
been an overwhelming success is promoting documents.

    john