Re: article on innovation and open standards

2013-05-15 08:01:42
Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
On Tue, 14 May 2013, Dale R. Worley wrote:

The critical difference is that the IETF is an organization of *buyers* rather than an organization of *sellers*.

Not that I have been active in the IETF that long (only a few years), but IETF is pretty vendor-heavy.

Some sections of the IETF would be more vendor-heavy, e.g. the routing area. In those sections, only a serious economic study might tell to which extent the "patent pool" (wikipedia is your friend) excludes the permissionless inventor in those IETF sections.

The DNS aspects pertaining to very high throughput nameservers appears vendor-heavy. I noticed some patents that are under the IETF IPR policy in this niche IT sector, and I am not aware of patent pools in this specific case.

Otoh hand the whole point with IETF is that *nobody* is *excluded*, it consists of all interested parties and the barrier of entry is really low.

Still in the DNS field, the lack of support of authoritative nameservers for "generic resource record type" would be a barrier to entry for permisionless innovation, maybe with a root cause linked to vendor-weight in a portion of the DNS field. Thus, permissionless invention occurs with the DNS TXT resource record type.

Let me insist that these two observations are hypotheses.

--
- Thierry Moreau

CONNOTECH Experts-conseils inc.
9130 Place de Montgolfier