Re: Participation per Region of Authoring IETF documents vs Marketing

2013-05-30 01:57:57

Lloyd,

http://www.arkko.com/tools/recrfcstats/d-contdistr.html
(Jari, what time period is that across? Oceania doesn't rate a mention…)

"Recent RFCs" is anything from RFC 5400 onwards. An arbitrary definition.

And Oceania is listed under "Australia" per
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent...

11 RFCs (0.73%) have authors from South America.

http://www.arkko.com/tools/allstats/fernandogont.html
This author is in Argentina (as of 2013)
Fernando has the following 12 RFCs

I need to repeat the warning that someone gave - my statistics are very
unreliable, particularly when it comes to small numbers. The tools parse
natural language, and all I can say is that they sometimes guess right. But I
also looked at this a while ago, and from what I could tell, Fernando is
responsible for the RFCs from that continent :-) For now… see below.

This suggests that itr would be efficient for the IETF to fund travel and
support for Fernando, who I've met at IETF meetings, rather  than fund an
IETF meeting in Fernando's neighbourhood (consistently Haedo, Provincia de
Buenos Aires - address is a better guide than affiliation).

I think we need to look at this topic not with today's numbers but with what is
possible within a few years. Today, I see several people who are making
significant contributions to discussion, including some who clearly
could/should be making RFCs. This will happen, and then there are all the other
people who could be participating, but are not. Just as an anecdotal datapoint,
some people at my day job at Ericsson have a very successful co-operation with
a Brasilian university on IETF-like topics.

Jari