Re: Participation per Region of Authoring IETF documents vs Marketing

2013-05-29 10:21:29

by looking into the statistics of I-Ds and RFCs, it is strange that we get
sometimes high rate in the I-D going in IETF from some regions but the
success rate of I-Ds to become RFCs is very low (5- 50).

There seems to be a general pattern where new participants first participate
and/or produce IDs but it takes some time to produce RFCs. For instance, for a
while it was the case that there was a growing number of proposals and
participants from China, but it is only more recently that the RFC statistics
reflect this (see the bright green line in
http://www.arkko.com/tools/rfcstats/countrydistrhist.html). The hypothesis is
that first of all, it takes a while to produce RFCs :-) and that new
participants take a while before they get up to speed on the process, find
enough other parties that share similar needs for the specific technical work,
etc.

Jari