Re: "Fixing: the standards track or RFC series (was: Re: What do we mean when we standardize something?)

2013-05-30 23:37:25
On 5/30/13, John C Klensin <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com> wrote:
difficult problems arise when someone comes to us with a spec
that might be ok but isn't how we would do it and tries to say
"you can have this and we will turn over change control as long
as you don't really want to make any changes".  When a statement
equivalent to that is justified on the basis of either being in
a hurry or not invalidating existing implementations, we find
ourselves in the middle of the contradiction between "consensus
of industry practice" and "best engineering solution" for
standardization.

If the standards proposed are reviewed well I don't think there will
be contradiction, I don't recommending always sticking to best
engineering solutions, because it is difficult to guarantee best
solutions in present/future (best practices ok). For industry request
work, IMO its better that our standards get into between *best
engineering practices* and *good engineering practices*, that will not
contradict with *consensus* and  *industry practices*.

AB