Re: Issues in wider geographic participation

2013-05-31 11:36:47

--On Friday, May 31, 2013 12:36 +0200 Fernando Gont
<fgont(_at_)si6networks(_dot_)com> wrote:

if the vendor presence is limited to marketing, sales, and
perhaps implementation, then, if that is a problem, it is one
that doesn't lie easily within IETF scope... and probably
shouldn't.

Do open source developers count? -- With Android and the like,
they end up producing more deployed implementations than
anyone else.

Sure  they count.  What they often don't do is have the support
to attend expensive f2f IETF meetings in far-away places.

Holding meetings closer to them might well make everyone feel
warm and fuzzy, and that might justify such meeting locations
(as I have said more generally all along).  But, if we want
increased participation from that community, we need to address
participation issues and the economics of the way we do business
and not think that locating a meeting or two close to people or
organizations who don't already participate will make a huge
difference.

    john