Re: [IETF] Re: Issues in wider geographic participation

2013-05-30 21:41:40
On 5/30/13 6:21 PM, l(_dot_)wood(_at_)surrey(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk wrote:
You'd love the Pacific.
Few IETFers get exposed to these kinds of environments.

I'd had no idea.  The point here isn't to derogate techies
working in this kind of environment, but that because the
sorts of informal technology and skills transfer mechanisms
that exist in tech centers don't exist here (people stay in
jobs forever, not many new people come in, there's no elite
university), there's heavy reliance among operators and
enterprise data centers on the people who sell them stuff.
I think that this is probably more common than we realize,
and might go towards answering questions about where the
operators are.

Melinda