Re: Hugh Daniel has passed away

2013-06-04 18:05:05
Paul Wouters <paul(_at_)cypherpunks(_dot_)ca> wrote:
Hugh Daniel passed away on June 3rd after what appears to have been
a heart attack.

Whoah.  I had completely lost track of him in the past decade, but he
was one of the most memorable people I ever met through the IETF.  We
met first at IETF 37 I think, in San Jose, and kept reconnecting at
meetings for the next few years, and sharing music and book
recommendations in between.  At IETF 40 he joined me and a few friends
on a trip out of town to a concert.  I wish I remembered more of the
stories he told - I remember re-telling them to other people often,
back in the 1990s, but only remember a few now.

If I recall correctly, in addition to his leadership in promoting
encryption on the Internet, he also had a mission to make Internet
access available all over the western US, and started a number of
local and regional ISPs in the 90s in pursuit of this goal.
  -- Cos