Re: Hugh Daniel has passed away

2013-06-04 19:09:17

In message <B95823D9-7998-46ED-86D6-E7FF05FBCD72(_at_)frobbit(_dot_)se>,
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Pa
trik_F=E4ltstr=F6m?= writes:
Oh.......

What to say, what to add?

  Patrik -- sad

Sad indeed.  Just used one of those key chain lights the other day.

Mark

On 5 jun 2013, at 00:32, Paul Wouters <paul(_at_)cypherpunks(_dot_)ca> wrote:

=20
Hugh Daniel passed away on June 3rd after what appears to have been a =
heart attack.
=20
https://nohats.ca/hugh-of-borg.jpg
=20
=20
Those who met him, know him. Principled to the core, and very present =
in
any room, he compelled people to listen to him - both by what he said,
and how loud he said it.
=20
He has made many contributions during the early days of IPsec and
DNSSEC. He was a manager of the FreeS/WAN Project for many years and
co-founder of The Openswan Project and recently The Libreswan Project,
although his health prevented him from being as active and he wanted =
be in the last two years.
=20
I met him for the first time at the CCC summer conference in 1999. Our
car had broken down, and everyone around me suggested to find Hugh =
Daniel
for help. He shone his freeswan photon light under the car, diagnosed
the problem, and put in a quick fix we could carefully drive to a =
repair
shop at 5km/h where we could tell the mechanic what to fix. We started
talking about Linux, crypto and he recruited me for the FreeS/WAN and
the goal to make the default mode of the internet encrypted. It is =
what
started me on IPsec, Opportunistic Encryption and DNS(SEC). In 2003,
he brought me to my first IETF in Vienna.
=20
Hugh, you are still causing a difference and we will raise a =
non-aloholic
drink in your honour when we have reached the universal deployment
of encrypted communication for everything.
=20
=20
=20
    "When you're NAT on the net, you're NOT on the net"  -- Hugh =
Daniel
=20

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka(_at_)isc(_dot_)org